COACHES VS CANCER
Email your information to email@example.com
2018-19 Information – Please see below:
The IBCA again has designated January as “Coaches vs. Cancer” month for high school Basketball in Indiana.
In the first 11 years of this initiative, boys’ and girls’ coaches across Indiana raised more than $950,000. In 2017-18 coaches, teams and communities that reported raised more than $63,000. That brings the nine-year reported total from Indiana basketball coaches to $950,064.
Ideally pick a date in January for a “Coaches vs. Cancer” game. If not January, please pick a date that works for you and host a “Coaches vs. Cancer” game.
The American Cancer Society also will present banners to programs that meet certain levels of donations. Categories are Champion ($10,000 or more), MVP ($5,000 to $9,999) and All Star ($2,500 to $4,999).
This January, we are asking every IBCA boys’ and girls’ coach to select a game to promote “Coaches vs. Cancer.”
All participating schools will be recognized this year on www.coachesvscancerindiana.org; those raising a total of $2,500 or more through all sports will receive a “Coaches vs. Cancer” recognition banner imprinted with the school’s name. To be eligible, all funds raised from throughout the school year must be turned into the local American Cancer Society office no later than June 1, 2019.
For accounting purposes, it helps tremendously if funds can be turned in by March 15, 2019.
Once you have determined the date for your “Coaches vs. Cancer” game, please e-mail this info to Gene Milner (firstname.lastname@example.org) so we can list the game dates on our “Coaches vs. Cancer” calendar. Please also notify Jessica Jackey (email@example.com) of the American Cancer Society of your game date. During this game, we are asking you to pass a container through the crowd (or make one available at your ticket counter) for fans to make donations. Checks should be made payable to “American Cancer Society.”
After the game, we ask you to do the following:
- E-mail Gene Milner to let him know how much money was collected and to what charity it was donated if other than the American Cancer Society.
- Call Bob Lovell of Indiana SportsTalk and let him know how much you collected
- Send a check for the amount collected (payable to the “American Cancer Society”) to Steve Witty, P.O. Box 638, Plainfield, IN 46168, who will forward it to the Coaches vs. Cancer office, or you can send it directly to the American Cancer Society. Jessica Jackey will work with you to identify which ACS office to work with.
The IBCA contact from the American Cancer Society is Jessica Jackey, Community Development Manager, American Cancer Society, 5635 W. 96th St., Suite 100, Indianapolis, IN 46278. Her e-mail is firstname.lastname@example.org; her cell number is 317-728-6064.
Please make plans now to include a “Coaches vs. Cancer” game on your schedule for the 2018-19 season. Our goal is 100 percent participation of all high schools in Indiana.
Here is a note from Jessica Jackey:
What an exciting time of year! First, I would like to thank you and the IBCA for the support you are providing the American Cancer Society through the Coaches Vs. Cancer Campaign. Indiana being the Basketball State that it is, this is an amazing opportunity to raise awareness in the fight against cancer.
This program is very simple, and I will provide you with all the support needed for a successful campaign. We are aware how busy your season can be, and will not require meetings, or a lengthy amount of your time. Most fundraising will be done online, through a volunteer, and with help from myself and ACS.
Please secure your date asap by emailing email@example.com with the day of your Coaches vs Cancer game. This would be a home game (widely attended and preferably in the month of January) and I will reach out to you with the opportunities and resources we will provide.
Coaches vs. Cancer and You
· Sign up, recruit others, and fundraise. It’s easy. It’s fun! Here’s how to start. Designate a home basketball game as Coaches vs. Cancer Day, where players, coaches, students, and the community rally in support of the American Cancer Society’s mission. Raise funds. Raise awareness. Increase education about cancer prevention and early detection. Email your date to firstname.lastname@example.org.
· Wear sneakers with suits. January 21-27, 2019, is Coaches vs. Cancer “Suits And Sneakers® Week,” a nationwide event when basketball coaches across the country unite for a common cause – saving lives from cancer. Coaches and their staff across the nation wear sneakers with their suits during games to raise awareness and funds in the fight against cancer.
· Join the 3-Point Challenge. In January, square off with teams from across the country in the Coaches vs. Cancer 3-Point Challenge. Fans pledge a dollar amount for every 3-point shot your team makes to beat your rival AND cancer! OR Choose the metric you would like to track – free throws, steals, etc. Visit 3pointchallenge.org to register your team today.
• Challenge other teams to sign up and participate in “Suits and Sneakers Week” and the 3-Point Challenge.
• Identify a player captain and community captain (parent or influential individual) to assist in leading the efforts and driving fundraising success.
I look forward to working with each one of you! By supporting Coaches vs. Cancer, you are helping save lives from cancer. The Coaches vs. Cancer program raises funds and awareness to help the American Cancer Society fight cancer and provide hope to people facing the disease. Together, we’ll help save more lives. Feel free to call or email me with any questions you may have!
|Columbus Northemail@example.com||B/G||Shelbyville @ Columbus North||11/30/2018||$3,175|
|Seymourfirstname.lastname@example.org||G||Brownstown Central @ Seymour||11/29/2018||
All money donated to the Don Myers Cancer Center in Seymour
|Dekalbemail@example.com||G||Garrett @ DeKalb||11/16/2018||Raised $500|
|Heritage Hillsfirstname.lastname@example.org||B||South Spencer @ Heritage Hills||1/26/2019||TBA|
|Orleansemail@example.com||B||Paoli @ Orleans||2/8/2019||Money raised will be given to school community members afflicted by cancer.|
|Speedwayfirstname.lastname@example.org||G/B||Monrovia @ Speedway||12/7/2018||All proceeds from this night will be donated to The Matt English Family, as he is battling brain cancer for the 3rd time.|
|Rushvilleemail@example.com||G||Westfield @ Rushville||12/1/2018||Raised $358.96 and donated to “Pink” to fight breast cancer.|
|Ben Davisfirstname.lastname@example.org||G||North Central @ Ben Davis||1/4/2019||We will be collecting donations at the door and from the crowd during the game. We will also be soliciting sponsors leading up to the game.|
|Triton Centralemail@example.com||G||Lawrenceburg @ Triton Central||
The total check we will be donating to the I.W.I.N. Foundation for this years game is……$20,004.31-NEW RECORD-most events are not setting records 11 years into it-WOW!
In the 11 years the L.T.B. program has been doing the Pink-Out game, we have donated over $148,000 to fight breast cancer!…..AWESOME JOB TRITON CENTRAL, YOU are TRULY AMAZING!!
|SB Washingtonfirstname.lastname@example.org||B||SB Adams @ SB Washington||TBA|
|Traders Point Christianemail@example.com||B||Parke Heritage @ Traders Point Christian||1/4/2019||We plan to make our contribution to Ovarian Cancer Society, as we had a staff member pass away from her battle a few years ago.|
|Tri-Countyfirstname.lastname@example.org||G||Seeger @ Tri-County||1/8/2019||TBA|
|Northridgeemail@example.com||G||Elk. Memorial @ Northridge||1/18/2019||
All proceeds go to Goshen Center for Cancer Care Patient’s Assistance Fund. I will let you know how much we raised next week. Currently, we have raised $8,000!
|Southportfirstname.lastname@example.org||G||Greenwood @ Southport||1/5/2019||
Lady Cards wore their Pink uniforms, sold t-shirts, auctioned off gift baskets and raffled off various prizes to help raise funds and awareness. Overall, we raised about $1270 and donated it to the Pink Ribbon Connection. A south side group who works to help the patients and families of the south side of Indy deal with cancer.
|Tecumsehemail@example.com||N.Posey @ Tecumseh||1/11/2019||Raised $1090 to help support Tecumseh student Ms. Haylee Woods who is fighting this dreadful disease. The money was donated to the “Hearts for Haylee” to help Haylee and her family off set their travel expenses encountered while traveling for treatments..|
|Oregon-Davisfirstname.lastname@example.org||G||Raised $600 to be donated to the Cancer Society .|